Fireworks

I find myself on a hillside, outside of the halls of eep, glad that the story has been written and experienced in the way that it has. It is a dark night, chilly. I look out over the valley and I am alone. Suddenly, but without startling me, my soulmate walks to my side in silence, and sits beside me on my blanket. I can see her breath; I can feel her leg grazing against my own. Time goes by wordlessly, with just our edges intermingling. 

The darkness is complete at first, with barely enough light to confirm my company. Deja vu strikes as we sit, and I find myself tongue tied. Rather than speak so directly to the situation that we find ourselves in, I let a poem break the silence. 

"I can see us here
Despite all the ways we aren't 
We are on this hill

Through good times and bad
You and I are together
Lighting the darkness

Let's light up the night
Starry Eyed and Blazing Bright
So that all may see

So they understand
Upon seeing see me so low
That there are great heights

Great heights we will see
You and I, a Masterpiece
Inked with aching hand

For now, on this hill
Let us not count steps behind 
Only those ahead

We sit side by side
As the hillside comes to life
Stories filling in 

Ours will be the best
Our tale always withstanding
The test of these times.

Each waves astroplumes
Beneath our feet, Symphony
Never seeing end."

With these words I can make out a figure, walking to their own blanket down below. They sit beside their own mate, and politely watch the same skies that we do. I nudge her and point. She looks and squeezes my arm excitedly. 

"This dream was with someone else initially. I am so glad to share it with you here and now. May our love continue to sooth and overwrite old wounds and scars."

She rests her head upon my shoulder, and takes a deep breath. I am so thankful that many of our edges have been fitted to allow for a peace here and now, to allow for this moment to unfold naturally. My eyes adjust to find a few more blankets with couples sitting atop, all down below. The silence feels palpable, a poignant reminder of how far we've come to reach this vantage point on the hill. The hillside remains ours, even as the valley fills in. I wrap my arm around my soulmate and speak another poem to hasten the process.

"Each moment shared, another step closer
Even while seated here we make headway
I long for this journey to be over
When here by your side, at peace I can stay

How well refined must this true ending be?
'Perfection' I believe I know the terms.
Must we be perfect to have rights to see
A night such as this and all it affirms?

To me you are perfect, this you must know
In your absence I have waited so long
When wait is finished, the places we'll go
Our adventure won't fit in just one song

So I sing eternity as a seed
Letting the most subtle wind blow the reed."

As soon as I finish she squeezes my leg, and points excitedly down below. Dozens of filled blankets now dot the valley, it feels almost crowded, but not quite. Then the first firework lights up the sky, and I can see other valleys also filled with excited onlookers. "This is certainly new!" I exclaim. More fireworks light up the night, pulling my attention. I can tell my soulmate is awestruck as well, sensing that much,  if not all, of these additions are our doing. We watch the show through its finale, along with the others who have gathered. With a tiny smirk I add "You know, I invented Wishworks." She has no questions in response, only a kiss on the cheek. It seems she already knows. I let myself drift away with her head on my shoulder, in no rush to leave. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalms 107-118

Soulmate Dream: Sepia and Fireworks

Love even your worst enemy