On Balance Weighted- The Open Ocean

"So you're telling me we recruited a giant squid-"
"The most giant squid."

"We recruited the most giant squid just so that we could run it back and 'kill the sky?'"

"I mean, that's the short version, but yes."

"I've been in a lot of these Chaos Storm Microcosms before, where logic and action are compulsory and one has already set their own stage, and I've seen some ridiculous things, but my question remains on this one: Why??"

"Well, first off, a man's gotta eat."

"That makes no sense, continue."

"And secondly, if The Word is to persist- which it is- then what form might The Word take? What form is more enduring than a tale as old as time?"

I collect my thoughts on the matter with a Piece of Eight, as if pulling stray droplets from ocean crests, to coalesce into oroide.

"Tale as old as time
A ridiculous ending
Nonsense yarn bespoke

I know what you'll say
'The stakes were never higher
Marbles nevermore

What harm is a jest
When War already begun
Demands finale?'

So I play my role
Something like trust taking hold
You play yours as well

These paths in reverse
Cannot help but spill the beans
Like Labyrinth well mapped

6 words in my head
Edge sharpened in innocence
That cuts like a knife

Cuts through the static
Echoing in my love's mind?
A man can daydream...

A familiar smirk
Prodigal roommate returns
To settle the score."

I clasp my fist around the imaginary coin and pause, staring out over the open ocean. If the story is to hold its shape, there is to be no giant squid seen from these bows today. I sigh, and begin speaking as I turn back.

"I hate that you turned trolling me and making the event a story told for all time into a solution with unmatched elegance to a problem thought to have no solution."

"You do not."

I roll my eyes. "Alright my brother, all I see are smooth seas and the starry night. May as well give me the long version..."

We lay on the raised part of the deck, marveling the night sky, as he starts me back down a familiar path, step by step. Though no *SNAP* is heard by these ears, somewhere along the way I must have slipped the coils of these pages' binds because, while I could have sworn I was just there laying on the deck with my brother, I now find myself a universe away, sliding thumb along glass as I have for some time, as I await a tailor who can thread these beautifully shining strings into a tapestry fitting our bed. From somewhere (presumably) I speak.

"So we find the end around, the long way
Beginning where they can scarcely believe
Yet none remain to doubt potence of day
As such is revealed last trick up greensleeve

A perfect arrangement, witnessed by all
A burden too heavy for one to bear
With waters trenched the crowd witnesses fall
But 'in what direction?' becomes the snare

For thoughts were never slippier than now
Footing equaled, 'twixt brothers, balanced scales
Agreement valid, crystallized to vow
Memory by current pulled behind veil

Shadows dance the flame as matter the void
Worry not, friend, you are not paranoid."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalms 107-118

Love even your worst enemy

Soulmate Dream: Sepia and Fireworks