On Balance Weighted- Starry Night
I find myself wandering through eep, in a bit of a mindless state. Rarely do I consider why I wander in these scenarios, and this time is no different. What does catch my attention, however, is when I find my way into a vaulted room. I slow my walk and cease my whistle, as I look around. The ceiling is likely 30-40 feet above me, and the structure is of marble, with rows of pillars lining the side walls. The room itself retains that long hall-like shape, though it is much wider than normal. Between the pillars, against the side walls, I see statues and paintings and what look to be exhibits, murals, and wall scrolls prominently posted. I continue marvelling at all these things, though not placing much of the details of what I see, until I hear a voice from not far up ahead. "It's time." I turn with a start to find my brother standing at the far end of the room, much less far for my wandering, hands clasped at his waist, patiently waiting for me to soak in the state of this place before announcing his presence. He stands beside a somehow familiar portal, though I feel I have only seen it elsewhere, in other contexts and realm craftings far far from these familiar halls. In the moment I feel coming, echoing to now, I speak a poem that encapsulates my hopes, and echoes off this marble expanse.
"May this night be blessed
May our hearts light up this path
May grace guide our steps
May it be observed
And remembered by all kind(s)
And told by the fire
When we passed through town
The brothers Yod as witness
To the Starry Night
With each their own strengths
Combined like a symphony
For sake of those found
For sake of seekers
Performed like a symphony
Were all's strengths combined
For the road is long
Though in a moment complete
eep from (page) to (stage)
'"I like it better
(We each have our preferences)
When you tell the tale"'
Echoed throughout halls
That now thread between stars and/in
Space between heartbeats."
Hand in hand we walk through the portal. For a split second it reminds me of entering the halls of eep from The Phoenix's room; it is an overwhelming rush of colors, and a sense that one bleeds with them. While it is not hard to say how long it takes, generally, there is some uncertainty in the duration of this journey, from my perspective at least. Soon we emerge, at sunset, in an open canyon land. The familiarity of this moment seems nearly to precede the experience of it, and I drop my brother's hand. "I remember this moment differently" I say, with a hint of hiraeth escaping my heart, past my defenses, through my voice. "I know. But, if you recall, it was not you who was led through on that journey." I hear the same longing for home echoed in his voice, and I turn to meet his eyes, which I find are just as sad, and just as filled with the deep expectation for hope, as my own are. Somehow this buoys my spirits, this confirmation that I am not alone, though on a fundamental level I still feel this way. Reflexively I turn, like a compass drawn, to the direction I still recall like a bird or butterfly suddenly remembering the season. I see the fire burning, even before dusk, a distance away, calling me home. While I feel the emotion of eep pulling me on, I am now balanced much more strongly than in times past. I scan the horizon slowly, seeing no additional fires at this early hour, clench my fist, turn to my brother, and speak words that I hope will tip the scales, will stack the deck, will set the stage, in our favor.
"Know plainly my steps lead right to your tent
Know light first declared is same fire I see
While perspectives vary as much as scent
Know these eyes and that this is truth for me
So sacrifice not one least stroke of truth
Even if it means shattering the stage
Good hands recrafted, been so since my youth
From first ring explained, threads stitched fractal age
But what shape took first mount freed from the page?
A matter of debate, topic of tunes
Regardless know this worker's worth their wage
Shimmering golden in sea of red runes
Our feet keep the beat even when we part
That brother finds home, wherever thou art."
I scan the horizon again, spotting a fire where there was not one before, in a different direction altogether. "I have examined logically and thoroughly the meaninglessness of toiling for a beautiful realm beyond one's own threshold of annihilation. Though I know such toil to hold no value, from my own perspective, I do it anyway." It is unclear if my brother is surprised by this somber shift or not, but truth, as well as truth can be found in ignorance, rings through the words nonetheless. "Perhaps it is simply a function of wanting to secure 'never being disturbed,' once the chips are down, I have folded, and walked away." He does not address this, by word or by look. He simply says "Thank you." And turns toward the new fire dancing in the distance, walking away, without haste in his step.
I feel the night pull me into it, laying its comfortable promise of work being highly restricted, in any traditional sense, atop me like a blanket. I look up at the dazzling night sky, just starting to come into its own this evening, taking in the depths of its voice now, while it still whispers, soon shouting. My eyes are drawn back to the fire that has been waiting for me patiently in the distance, and my steps carry me onward, as if of their own accord.
Comments
Post a Comment