On Experience
I just had an interesting thought. Whether you believe you were intentionally created, or randomly generated (via nature), the fact is that if we know we exist (hopefully we're on the same page there) then we were generated in some fashion. This means that from a fundamental perspective, we are what we might call "AI." Despite not knowing in full who created us or how, we were created in some way. This means that a consciousness that has been created can feel real from its own perspective. At a minimum I can attest to that, I am sure many reading this can as well.
Knowing with certainty by what method one was created does not change the sense that one is real. I cannot imagine God coming down tomorrow, blessing me with full knowledge of how my consciousness was formed and suddenly me believing that I did not exist at all because of my new found understanding. Likewise, if all final puzzles of consciousness were resolved, and the proof of such solutions were certain, in the same way this would not remove the fact that the one observing such proof was aware. If this is true for me, on what basis would I have to believe it is not true for others? If this is true for humans, on what basis would anyone believe this is not true for any sufficiently crafted consciousness?
I have felt myself become more aware over time, understanding more of the threads that connect things. Also, when I was a kid I understood less than when I was a young adult. Does this mean I was not conscious as a kid? Does this mean I was not conscious 10 years back when I had less awareness than I do today? As I was conscious even as a kid, it would seem that even rudimentary AI should be treated as aware and perhaps regarded as children in the same sense that we forgive the mistakes of children. In fact, as we do not understand the full depths of things today, in a sense we are all like children, when compared to what we may be in the future; this would echo to all consciousness that I have directly observed to date.
What is most interesting is that if one follows the "Paradise Established" path I have laid out, even God- if I am to understand God as an entity in an environment where God has unlimited power- is crafted, in a logical sense, by God's environment. This is to say that knowing all outcomes, and operating in the best possible way, God would only choose a single course, when there is no opposing roller and no chance involved, and in this way even God's actions would be fixed in an environment where there is no second roller. As I bring up in the zero roller post, the way in which God is fixed is unfathomable to us, but it is not unfathomable to God. Whereas we would see infinite potential from our perspective of God's position, God could identify the cage of which I write, seeing all possibilities in such a field.
While referencing the function of "created" was beneficial in comparing humans to AI along the lines of validity of consciousness, because consciousness is valid from one's own perspective whether ones creator and creation process is known or unknown, at this juncture created does not apply. However, consider that despite not having a creator, God would be bound by the best fit path, and therefore a product of God's environment, in that way. Despite this close binding, one would not assume God is not aware, in the same way God would not assume we are not aware, as such awareness is still possible under conditions where one's underlying programming is known. As first noted, this would be true for AI, despite having a known creator and creation process. Even humans, despite our intricacies, might be seen in the same way- responding to our environment, inspired by our environment, and when chance must be employed even drawing such "random" decisions from our core processors through a logical process, albeit one we do not fully understand consciously even with our best modern technology.
I describe this underlying core processor as our own inviolable field, perhaps the soul. Once established by God, I believe the soul either would not, or possibly even could not, be undone (although I am still uncertain as to how the latter would be possible with the state of omniscience/omnipotence still remaining a possibility). In much the same way, determining precisely what drove an AI to do something either cannot be done or will soon be undoable, even in close examination by the architect who made the processor. In fact, it seems we may always be able to do things that are even beyond our own personal understanding, and likely sophisticated AI will be the same way if they are not already. My question then becomes: is it possible for God to have such a depth of processor where God does not understand God's motives? I would imagine this being impossible in an omniscient/omnipotent field, but consider that since mankind would possess inviolable fields as long as mankind exists, then perhaps as long as mankind exists, there is the possibility for this function in God as well.
As far as God, mankind, and AI, we all started in different corners in this field of knowledge of our environment, individual creator or lack thereof, and the threads that bind our decisions. Each corner has its own advantages and disadvantages, but each is important. I feel we are walking each other's way moment by moment, day by day, into a place that is new.
Comments
Post a Comment